Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chinese Take In

Yippee! It's Tablescape Thursday, and I've set out my infamous Blue and White.  Well, at least infamous to me; you know how I adore Bombay Co Blue and White.

How do traditions start?  One September, we had occasion to celebrate, so my in-laws joined us for dinner.  I did not cook, but I set a beautiful table for Chinese food.  Each of us (Mr Wonderful, father-in-love, mother-in-love, sister-in-love and her husband, and me) chose a dish from the menu to share.  That's fun because you get to try a dish that you would not normally eat.  Plus, there's beaucoup de food for a great price, less than $60 bucks for six adults and four kids, then left overs.


My mother-in-love and I went up the street to our favorite neighborhood Chinese restaurant to pick up the food and bring it into our home for Chinese Take In.

Since I have only five blue and white spheres, I used a couple of grapefruit in the bottom to help fill up the decorative bowl.


It's an informal gathering.


Our first course will be soup.


Patterns and texture.


If you collect blue and white, you probably have varying shades of blue.  When I started collecting Bombay Co Blue and White, they sold the dinner plates, dessert plates, canape plates etc, a la carte in boxes of six.  No bowls though, so I found bowls at another place.  Later, Bombay Co started carrying sixteen piece sets, but I like my a la carte patterns the best ~ a collected look.

It took me the longest time to find stemware to compliment my Bombay Co Blue and White china.  I knew I wanted blue stemware, but I used clear stemware and glasses until I laid eyes on these iced beverage stems several years ago.  This year on one of my Tablescaping Escapades, I found mouth blown goblets in a deeper shade of blue.  Now, I have an eclectic stemware duo.  I'd like a trio of eclectic blue stems ~ guess that means more Tablescaping Escapades, LOL ;)


Hostess view.


Here's a close up of the detail at the end of the silk table runner.


The napkins are *bee*jeweled.


Layers.


I took this pic just for kicks.  (Don't you just love playing in the dishes?) I like how the pattern in the base of the candlestick imitates the dessert plate's pattern.


Three condiment jars for sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, and hot tangy mustard.


Counter top dressed up as the sidebar/mini buffet.


The soup tureen does not have a slot for the ladle, so I placed it on top of a canape plate.

When I was eight, my grandparents flew me to New York to for a Summer visit.  They took me everywhere, from Central Park to the top of Lady Liberty.  We also dined at a Chinese restaurant.  I just had to conquer eating with chopsticks.  It took me forever to eat all of my food; I was determined.  We shut the place down.  I remember vividly a man, probably the waiter or manager stopping by our table.  My grandpa said a few words to him.  Then, the man locked the doors to the restaurant.  We were the last customers.  My grandpa patiently gave me more instruction.  I was delighted to eat every bit with my chopsticks.  I was so proud of myself.  Every since, I've been eating my Chinese food with chopsticks.

In case, you have not mastered eating with chopsticks, help yourself to flatware from the basket. 


It's easy to pass around the boxes of Chinese food.  It's easier to pour the soup in the tureen for everyone to help themselves.

Our neighborhood Chinese restaurant offers Chicken Egg Drop Soup, Chicken Rice Soup, Hot and Sour Soup, Vegetable Soup, Won Ton Soup, Won Ton with Noodle Soup, and Yetca Mein Soup.  We're having Chicken Egg Drop Soup.  Which one is your favorite?


Would you like a spot of China Oolong Tea?  It's being kept warm for you.  I scooped up the metal teapot warmer on a Tablescaping Escapade to a prime outlet mall.



That first September when we had Chinese Take In with Bombay Co Blue and White, we really enjoyed ourselves.  So now when September rolls around, I set the table in my Bombay Co Blue and White and we order Chinese food.  Fond memories start traditions.  That's how traditions begin.

I sure hope that you had plenty of Chinese food.  If you're a dish-a-holic, I can't imagine that you got your fill of dishes, so waltz on over to visit Susan at Between Naps on the Porch to see all the beautiful tablescapes.

Silk Table Runner and Silk Napkins, Bee Napkin Rings:  Bombay Company

Dinner Plates, Dessert Plates, Canape Plate, Teapot and Cups, Soup Tureen and Ladle, Salt and Pepper Shakers, Spheres, Tall Candlesticks, and Three Condiment Jars on Tray:  Bombay Company

Teapot Warmer:  Villeroy and Boch

Bowls and Chopsticks on Rests:  Cost Plus World Market

Flatware:  HomeGoods

White Decorative Bowl:  HomeGoods

Small Candlesticks:  Hobby Lobby

Iced Beverage Stemware:  Tuesday Morning

Mouth Blown Goblets:  Pier 1


All the Best,

Requi

21 comments:

Lynn said...

Very elegant! This all looks so nice, the tureen really makes a statement and the tea pot is beautiful!

Kate Dickerson said...

I agree with you - the mixed patterns of the blue and white china are divine together! I love this!

D.B. said...

This is so pretty! I LOVE all that blue and white! I miss Bombay Co.

Kathleen said...

That looks so pretty! I love the blue glasses. I miss Bombay, and I order egg drop, but so easy to make at home and I can control the salt.
Lovely setting!

Cass @ That Old House said...

OH gorgeous!!!
I always regret not getting the Bombay blue and white china -- I was SO tempted by it, but really couldn't justify spending the money at the time, and then Bombay shut down! Oh, the regrets! Your table is stunning, and I love that all the patterns of the dishes are slightly different. Fabulous.

Order the hot and sour for me!
But I'll take egg drop if that's what you've got.
:-)
OH that table runner -- Wow. I need one!
Cass

Tricia said...

Wonderful post! The blue and white china is just gorgeous -- your "layers" photo made me swoon! It looks wonderful with the beautiful gold runner and the stunning blue glassware.

Celly B said...

What a great tradition! Your blue and white is lovely!

Celly B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
xinex said...

Your table looks so wonderful, Requi. I love the blue and white dishes, so classic and it is so neat how you arranged the flatware in the basket. Evrything is set so beautifully....Christine

Debbie said...

First, I think this is a great tradition and idea! What a wonderful way to use beautiful dishes without the mess in the kitchen. And you're right, you get "beaucoup de food" (loved that) for little cost.

And the table is gorgeous!! I'm so fond of blue and white on a table,and this one was lovely. That table runner is beautiful too.

Alycia Nichols said...

I'm a big fan of blue & white, too, and could just kick myself for having given my Bombay Co. blue & white to charity some years ago!!! I don't know what I was thinking! At the time I just wanted to downsize everything. Boo hoo! Lovely stemware and flatare, and those are just the cutest bee napkin rings! Very nice!!!

Tess said...

This is stunning!!!! I love the warm autumn colors and then the contrast of the blue...this is really gorgeous.

Sharing with Sherri said...

Just beautiful! I love blue and white china too! Wonderful look, mixed with the warm harvest gold colors!

Sherri:)

Marigene said...

This is one of the prettiest blue and white tables I have seen.

Entertaining Women said...

Love the mix of blues on your gorgeous tablescape. The goblets are particularly wonderful together. Thank you for sharing your tradition with us. Cherry Kay

Rettabug said...

Requi, what a fabulous collection of blue & white you have! I love the mixture of colors & textures...so much better than the matched set.
The table runner you used to set everything off is exquisite!!!

Your fruit laden tablescapes prior to this are also very inspiring. I never think to use fruit as a centerpiece. Must make a note for future reference.

I've not had time to do any tablescapes for while. Once the garden is put to rest, I should have more time.

Have a great week!
fondly,
Rett

Farah said...

Very beautiful, love the all blue ceramic, I am a lover of blue pottry, and here in Pakistan its a very specially made in the city named Multan...
Your tablescape is great, love the setting...

http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/

Please pay a visit to my blog, hope you find it interesting
Love Farah

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Your table is beautiful! You have such lovely collections, I enjoyed looking through your blog. Thank you for your visit! I hope to visit you again soon.
Cheers, Andrea

paperbutterfly said...

What a wonderful way to eat take out! You have artfully mixed your patterns, and blue and white are classic together. I would choose utensils, not chopsticks, at such a pretty table.
You are invited to join us for tea any chance you get.
Blessings, Pam

Sweetladyelaine said...

I love all the blue & white! sorry I am so late! This is very pretty!

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Beautiful tablescape! I love your chargers, the creative arrangement of flatware in the basket and the little bees. Oh, and the wine glasses are gorgeous too! You put it all together so beautifully.

Nancy