Friday, August 6, 2010

My First Blue and White

After my Blue White and Silver post, I was washing everything to put away as I was thinking I really like this blue and white.  Then later, I was washing my everyday dishes after dinner and I had an epiphany.  I have liked blue and white all along; it started way before I fell in love with the blue and white china from Bombay Company.
 
 

Let me tell you about my very first set of blue and white.  When I was preparing to move into my very first apartment, which of course meant frugal living, I saw the cutest dishes ~ 'Floral Expressions' hand decorated and made in Japan ~ at one of our local grocery stores.  You know, the kind you buy with the grocery store's stamps.  You get a certain amount of stamps depending upon the dollar amount spent on groceries.  (Wow that sounds like ages ago, LOL.)  Each dish was sold a la cart, plus they also had other pieces, like the canisters, spoon rest, trivet, etc.  My Mommy and I did so much grocery shopping over the next few months until I had every piece I wanted.
 




I wanted service for four, so I bought five each of bowls, cups and saucers, and plates. I figured, if a piece broke, I'd still have four.  This set of stoneware is pretty durable, but I've broken a couple of pieces. Shortly after moving into my apartment, I baked a potato too long on the saucer in the microwave. Shall I say more?  Nonetheless, I still think these dishes are cute. Mmm, not sure what happened to the rest.  Mr. Wonderful and two little busy bodies, I suppose.


Well, over fifteen years later, I have four plates, three bowls, one cup and one saucer.  I like to drink my morning cup of tea with the cup and saucer.


These aren't the finest accoutrements, but I sure have the fondest memories.  Just as we're packing everything to move, I realized I didn't have any utensils, so my Mommy gave me a fork, a spoon, a wooden handled steak knife, a butcher's knife and a pitch fork. Okay, not a pitch fork, a long meat fork with two tines.  I've been calling it a pitch fork every since I was a little girl because that's what I thought it looked like.  My Mommy always giggled at the inside joke whenever I called it a pitch fork.


Recently (and probably for the umpteenth time), I told Mr. Wonderful that this is the fork and spoon my Mommy gave to me when I moved into my apartment, and I treasure them.  He asked, why not put them some place safe.  I said oh no, I cherish this memory by using them all the time.  That's how I enjoy them.  Otherwise, they'd just be somewhere collecting dust out of sight, out of mind.


After Mr. Wonderful and I wed and moved into our home, I set the table with these dishes and set the teapot with the dried roses in the middle with the angel salt and pepper shakers.  You can see that centerpiece here.  The teapot pin is the napkin's brooch and a silver teapot as a napkin ring.  See, this tray setting is reminiscent of old times, the first table setting in our new home.


I have a set of four of these teapot napkin rings, each a different shaped teapot.  I sort of like this tarnished look for my stroll down memory lane.  Also, I have four of the teapot pins, two with the pink roses (shown) and two with a blue ribbon tied under the lid with teacup and a lemon wedge on the side.




By the way, this tray is to serve you.  Sit back, reminisce and relax for a while.


Then, stop by Between Naps on the Porch and visit with Susan and all the other fabulous dish-a-holics.  Good thing you're relaxed already because you might get giddy with excitement seeing all those beautiful dishes at Tablescape Thursday.

Thanks for visiting.  Please take time and leave me a comment about your first set of dishes. 

All the Best,

Requi

10 comments:

Entertaining Women said...

Oh my, I adore that you've shared your wonderful memories of collecting these dishes. I particularly like the scalloped dinner plate with the blue rim. It would be a wonderful charger under a luncheon plate, too! Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

Fatima said...

Womderful tablescape! The tray is so sweet, your napkin ring is absolutely special.Thanks for sharing.Fatima-Scrapart.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Reqi, What a pretty trayscape. I love the cozy feeling it has! And it was so nice to hear the happy memories of collecting the dishes.
Your darling pewter teapot napkin rings look just adorable.
Yvonne

Sharon Haynie said...

I collect dishes for the same reason-the memories they bring back of wonderful meals, loving families and good times are irreplaceable. Thanks for sharing with us!

Barbara said...

Requi, I enjoyed your memories of your dishes. It makes them all so special. I love blue and white too.

Marigene said...

Requi, what a great trayscape..the dishes are really cute.

The Tablescaper said...

So adorable, particularly the napkin ring.

I host a weekly meme called "Summer Sundays". It's al about what summer means to you. I'd love to have you join us.

- The Tablescaper

xinex said...

Very pretty, Riqui. Everything is so beautifully arranged on the tray....Christine

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I have this same set of dishes! I came across your post while trying to research the history of these dishes (I also remember when my mom bought them each week). As fond as my memories are, I am trying to determine if it is worth selling them. I have a full service for 12 that were hardly ever used. If you ever happen to hear if there is a market for these, I'd love it if you would contact me. Thanks...and enjoy your memories!!!